Sunday, July 8, 2012

As an individual who's grown up in a proactive Asian-American family, I've always been pressured by my parents to learn and master any type of instrument.

From playing the violin during elementary school to private piano lessons after class, I felt like I never truly enjoyed playing an instrument because of its technicality and patience. As a result, after middle school, I decided to drop my violin lessons and solely focus on mastering the paino. Personally, the piano represented the opportunity to play any song I enjoyed. Not only could the piano keys perfectly play a certain chord or rhythm in tune, but its wide range of tones or octaves gave me some versatility while playing a song. Hence, I began to love playing the piano due to its flexibility and harmony.



When entering high school, I decided to completely quit my piano lessons and start teaching myself songs I wanted to play. As it turned out, this became one of my greatest decisions in my musical career. The ability to play whatever song I desired to learn remained the greatest draw of why I continue to play piano to this day. Not only would I have the chance to play an instrument on my own schedule or time, but I would attain the flexibility of listening to songs and deciding I wanted to learn it on piano.

For instance, if I heard a song on a radio I enjoyed, I would simply have to search for it, print out the music sheets, and learn to play it. This truly revolutionized my view of playing an instrument and mastering it. Hence, whenever I sit down to play the piano, I truly enjoy the sound of chords perfectly mirroring familiar songs I enjoy listening to. In the end, the piano has moved me both in a musical sense, as well as, taught me that instruments can serve as a medium for self-discovery and passion.

I now want to learn to play the guitar. I can easily read sheet music. My friend, who is in a band, told me to see this guitar lessons review website if I want to learn on my own. I think I'm about to broaden my horizons.

No comments:

Post a Comment